For 6 people
- 1 tablespoon oil, preferably olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, ends removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and skins removed
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 L water
- 50 g shiitake mushrooms, dried and soaked in water to rehydrate (optional)
- 150 g Astragalus root powder
- Stir-fry the onions, carrots, and celery in the oil over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes.
- When vegetables are fragrant and soft, add garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes
- Add water, herbs, mushrooms and Astragalus to the pot and cover
- Bring to a boil before reducing heat to medium and partially cover the pot
- Simmer for 20 minutes, and then filter the herbs and vegetables from the broth. To serve, add 1 teaspoon of miso paste to each bowl
You can also add Astragalus to your favourite soup! Traditionally, sliced Astragalus root is often simmered in soups for 15-30 minutes, then removed before serving. You can also use Astragalus powder.
Recommended daily portion
Consume one portion of this soup and combine it with your Astragalus tea to cover your daily intake.
Preparation and dosage
Astragalus is traditionally used as a strong decoction, made from boiling the dried root in water for a long time. The tea (decoction) dose used to manage diabetes ranges from 20 g twice a day to 60 g four times a day. Start with 40 g/day, which can be increased, according to outcome, up to 240 g/day.
Proven health benefits of Astragalus
Astragalus improves visual acuity and fundus manifestations in patients with diabetic retinopathy.
Recipes with Astragalus
Astragalus immunity tea
Astragalus chai teaIngredients For 1 person 40 gAstragalus root 1tablespoon dried lemon peel 2teaspoons ginger, minced 2½ cups of water Preparation In a medium-sized pot, cover all ingredients with the water Boil for 3 minutes Filter and drink it Drink this whole...
Astragalus chai tea
Astragalus Chai TeaIngredients For 1 person 40 g astragalus root 1tablespoon dried orange peel 2teaspoons ginger, minced ½ tablespoon cinnamon,broken ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns 2green cardamom, pods 2whole cloves 2½ cups of water Preparation In a...
Astragalus traditional decoction
Astragalus quick and easy traditional decoctionIngredients For 1 person 40 g Astragalus root 2½ cups of water Sweetener (optional) Preparation Bring water to boil. Add Astragalus and boil for another 3 minutes. Pour through a fine cloth or coffee filter to strain. Add...