Bitter Melon Filipino Salad
For 3 people
- 100 g bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 4-5 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (optional)
- Cut the unpeeled bitter melon in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds
- Thinly slice the bitter melon and rub the salt all over it. Place in a bowl for 30 minutes
- Remove the salt by quickly washing the bitter melon with running water. Drain off the excess liquid
- Combine vinegar, ground black pepper and sweetener in a bowl. Stir
- Add the bitter melon, onion, and tomato to the bowl. Mix well
- Cover the bowl with a cling film or wrap; refrigerate for about 3 hours
- Serve as a side dish for fish or with a portion of rice
Recommended daily portion
One portion of this salad provides your daily dose of bitter melon.
Preparation and dosage
Bitter melon can be consumed dried, fresh, or as a juice.
As to our knowledge, no data indicates that it is possible to consume it cooked, steamed, stir-fried, baked without losing its hypoglycaemic activity; we therefor recommend consuming bitter melon dried, fresh, or as a juice in order not to lose its benefits.
Dosage: 2 g of dried powdered bitter melon pulp a day (equivalent to 1 teaspoon of powder). It can also be consumed fresh (The equivalent of 2 g dried powder would be 33 g of fresh bitter melon without the seeds and white flesh).
Proven health benefits of bitter melon
Bitter gourd has been shown to be efficient in reducing pain and improving symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee while reducing the need for analgesia after 3 months of supplementation.
Recipes with Bitter melon
Bitter Melon fresh pickle
Bitter Melon SmoothieIngredients For 1 person 33 g fresh bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh) ½ red apple 1/8 cucumber 1 tablespoon lemon juice 4 ice cubes Salt (for preparation only, will not be consumed) Preparation Cut the skin from the bitter melon and...
Bitter melon smoothie
Bitter Melon SmoothieIngredients For 1 person 33 g fresh bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh) ½ red apple 1/8 cucumber 1 tablespoon lemon juice 4 ice cubes Salt (for preparation only, will not be consumed) Instructions Cut the skin from the bitter melon...