Bitter Melon Smoothie
For 1 person
- 33 g fresh bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh)
- ½ red apple
- 1/8 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ice cubes
- Salt (for preparation only, will not be consumed)
- Cut the skin from the bitter melon and wash it under cold running water
- Scoop out the seeds and white flesh from the Bitter melon with a spoon, leaving the green outer section. Cut it into cubes
- Soak the cubes for 20-30 minutes in a bowl of water with salt. Remove the liquid and rinse the cubes
- Process the bitter melon in a blender (or a bowl if made by hand) along with the apple, cucumber, and lemon juice
- Strain the juice to remove any solid pieces and blend it again with ice cubes (or squeeze it with a masher)
Recommended daily portion
This smoothie will provide your daily portion of bitter melon.
Preparation and dosage
Bitter melon can be consumed dried, fresh, or as a juice.
As to our knowledge, no data indicates that it is possible to consume it cooked, steamed, stir-fried, baked without losing its hypoglycaemic activity; we therefor recommend consuming bitter melon dried, fresh, or as a juice in order not to lose its benefits.
Dosage: 2 g of dried powdered bitter melon pulp a day (equivalent to 1 teaspoon of powder). It can also be consumed fresh (The equivalent of 2 g dried powder would be 33 g of fresh bitter melon without the seeds and white flesh).
Proven health benefits of bitter melon
Bitter gourd has been shown to be efficient in reducing pain and improving symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee while reducing the need for analgesia after 3 months of supplementation.
Recipes with Bitter Melon
Bitter melon Filipino salad
Bitter Melon Filipino SaladIngredients For 3 people 100 g bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh), thinly sliced 1 medium red onion thinly sliced 1 medium tomato diced 4-5 tablespoons vinegar ½ teaspoon ground black pepper 1 teaspoon sweetener (optional)...
Bitter melon smoothie
Bitter Melon SmoothieIngredients For 1 person 33 g fresh bitter melon (without the seeds and white flesh) ½ red apple 1/8 cucumber 1 tablespoon lemon juice 4 ice cubes Salt (for preparation only, will not be consumed) Instructions Cut the skin from the bitter melon...